Homeopathic Medicine, Treatment & Remedies
Homeopathic remedies are derived from natural substances that come from plants, minerals, or animals. A remedy is prepared by diluting the substance in a series of steps. Homeopathy asserts that this process can maintain a substance’s healing properties regardless of how many times it has been diluted. Many homeopathic remedies are so highly diluted that not one molecule of the original natural substance remains. Remedies are sold in liquid, pellet, and tablet forms.
The term homeopathy comes from the Greek words homeo, meaning similar, and pathos, meaning suffering or disease. Homeopathy is an alternative medical system.
Key concepts of homeopathy include:
- Minute Amounts of Natural Substances: Homeopathy uses minute amounts of natural substances to stimulate the body’s self healing abilities. Because homeopathy can activate this natural self-healing ability, it is an excellent therapy that helps to stimulate or repair a damaged immune system, and to successfully heal most chronic illnesses. It can also be used to stimulate healing of emotional and mental imbalances.
- Individualized Treatment: A homeopathic treatment is individualized. This means that the treatment is tailored to each person. A homeopathic practitioner selects homeopathic remedies based on an in-depth assessment of the patient, not only taking into account symptoms, but also lifestyle, emotional and mental states, and many other factors.
- Holistic Approach: Homeopathy is the treatment of the physical, emotional and mental conditions and considers how all these aspects interact. As a result, homeopathic therapeutics support and enhance a patient’s overall health and well-being.
- Treatment of the Underlying Cause: Homeopathy is a careful approach which is concerned with treating the underlying cause of illness. Homeopathic medicine is chosen specifically for each unique individual so that it may effectively treat the underlying source of their particular condition, rather than simply alleviating symptoms.
What do homeopathic practitioners do in treating patients?
Typically, during an initial consultation with a Classical Homeopath, the homeopath conducts an in-depth assessment of their patient. This allows for the homeopath to understand the person’s unique individuality and the totality of their symptoms. The assessment is then used to guide the homeopath to select the correct constitutional homeopathic medicine for each individual patient. During follow-up visits, patients report how they are responding to the remedy, or remedies, and this helps the practitioner make decisions about further treatment.
What Homeopathic Can Do
Among other things, homeopathic treatment can be particularly useful in deep-seated, chronic conditions that have developed over a long period of time. It can be used to treat conditions for which conventional medicine has no effective cure. These include almost all well-known medical conditions, from autoimmune diseases, cancer, asthma, ADD, ADHD, autism, fibromyalgia, and many more. A well-chosen constitutional homeopathic remedy can produce dramatic improvement in these conditions and others. Homeopathy can help reverse the limitations of chronic disease and maintain long-term health and results.
10 reasons to use homeopathy. . .
- Natural Action
Homeopathy works by stimulating the body’s own natural healing mechanism to promote health and to resist infection and susceptibility to disease. Although gentle, the results can be powerful and long lasting.
- Health & Well-Being
Homeopathy improves health generally, rather than merely alleviating localized symptoms. It treats the whole individual, acting on the mental and emotional levels as well as the physical level, providing a balance in overall health and an increased sense of well-being and quality of life.
- Effective Medicine
When used correctly, homeopathy can be an extremely effective system of medicine, providing long-lasting relief from many acute and chronic conditions and illnesses.
- No Harmful Side Effects
Homeopathic treatment offers a gentle and non-invasive approach to health, producing no toxic side effects, no dependency or addiction, and no withdrawal.
- Cost Effective
Homeopathic medicines are surprisingly inexpensive when compared to over-the-counter and prescription drugs.
- Fast-Acting First-Aid Relief
Homeopathy can be safely used at home or in the workplace to provide rapid relief for minor problems such as bruises, simple burns, sprains, insect bites, gastric upsets, etc. However more serious or long-lasting complaints should be treated by a qualified homeopath.
- Not Tested on Animals
Homeopathic medicines are tested only on healthy humans in order to determine the range of action of each remedy.
- Complementary Medicine
Homeopathic medicines may be used independently or along with conventional drugs and other therapies (with the full knowledge of your other healthcare providers). It can often alleviate side effects of conventional treatments (e.g., chemotherapy).
Homeopathy has no adverse impact on the environment, with no waste of energy or natural resources in the manufacturing process and no pollution of the water supply, oceans, and dump sites when used. Homeopathy is the ultimate Green Medicine!
- Medicine of the Future
Homeopathy is the second most widely-used system of medicine in the world. It is available in most countries and is gaining in popularity as an alternative to conventional medicine.
Consultations and Fees
Healing and cure is a process during which your immune system will strengthen with the help of homeopathic treatment. Homeopathy aims to cure both the cause of your illness as well as your symptoms.
Homeopathic consultation: It is an essential part of the healing process. It provides a confidential environment where you can build up a trusting therapeutic relationship with your homeopath.
Initial consultation (120-150 minutes)
Adult Consultation – $200 / Child* Consultation– $150
– 2 to 2.5 hour consultation
– Extensive study and analysis of your case to find the best remedy to improve your health
– Homeopathic remedy
Whether your symptoms are mainly physical or emotional or a combination of both you will be asked to give as much information about yourself as possible. During this time you can discuss with your homeopath all the current or past health issues and concerns. Your homeopath might also ask you for example about your personality, moods, and reactions to different situations, to environment or foods. When you talk about your symptoms your well trained homeopath will know which symptoms should be specifically noted and need to be explored more. This helps the homeopath to understand what distinguishes your individual experience of your illness. Your homeopath also needs to know about your family’s medical history as well as your own personal health history, in order to carefully study and analyze your case after the consultation and select the best remedy.
Therefore in chronic cases the remedy might be prescribed a few days later after the consultation. The remedy will wither be mailed to you or arranged to pick up in the clinic. In acute cases the remedy is prescribes within a short tie or at the end of consultation.
Initial consultation with children (120 – 150 minutes)
Before the visit you will be asked to fill out a medical history form which will help you homeopathic practitioner gain an overview of your child’s health of behavioural issues that might not come up spontaneously during the consultation. The first visit is a vital opportunity for your homeopath to get to know you and your child. Usually, we spend the first part talking to parents, and then your child will be given the space to express. During the consultation the homeopath with be most interested in the following areas:
- Physical symptoms
- Behavioral issues
- How your child gets along in the family, with others, at school and in other settings
- Words, phrases, expressions and images that your child uses often.
- Special interests and favorite activities
- Any particular sensitivities
- Food , drinks, likes and dislikes
- Information regarding pregnancy and birth
- Anything that you can think that is unique or unusual about your child.
- Feel free to bring some of your child’s drawings or artwork to the consultation.
Follow up Consultation (30 – 40 minutes)
Adult Consultation – $50 / Child* Consultation– $45
– 1 hour consultation
– Extensive study and analysis of your case
– Homeopathic remedy
Your follow up consultation will be scheduled anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks after the initial consultation. During the follow up your homeopath will explore your case further and evaluate your response to the remedy and improvement of your health.
Healing and cure is a process during which your immune system will strengthen.
Your commitment to the process of healing and cure is as important as our commitment to provide you the best care our experience can offer. The continuity of your treatment is essential to the maintenance of your health.
Acute Consultation (30 – 40 minutes)
Homeopathy is very effective in acute conditions like:
- Colds and flu
- Ear infections
- Bruises, strains, sprains, falls, and other injuries
- Bone healing or pain after fractures
- Stomach upsets
A well prescribed remedy will act quickly to relieve the symptoms of pain and accelerate the healing process.
Phone calls and Skype consultations are available for patients outside Canada.
*A child is anyone under the age of 16